Saturday, December 23, 2006

Peeved with Google

Google data servers don't just sit there you know. They busy around tidying up links and reclaiming spare space.

I had evidence of that this morning.

Three days ago, I uploaded my Christmas photo album to picasaweb. Picasa on my computer had seemed a bit jittery and before I knew it, I had two Christmas albums uploaded, one of which was superfluous to requirements.

So I deleted it.

The correct Christmas album had the index title of 200602. I circulated my Round Robin Christmas greeting by email with a link to that album.

This morning, shock horror, when I was checking the link to copy the url to someone else, I got the dreaded 404 error page.

What had happened? Software on the server had discovered that the first album had been deleted. That would probably mean that the link was deleted, but the album was still taking up valuable space somewhere. Efficient housekeeping not only deleted the link, and the space that the album was occupying, it ALSO changed the link to the REAL Christmas album.

Should any of my friends and acquaintances want to review those photos, and click on the link that I sent, all that they will get is Error 404.

I'm not going to re-circulate the link to friends. That leaves egg on my face, but I have had to edit the blog entry previous to this one to correct the links and references.

Hey Google! What about a redirect?

No comments:

ShareThis