Sunday, December 10, 2006

Geotagging in Flickr



While checking out photos that I took last Friday of Loughborough Christmas market, I discovered that I already had two other sets of photos on my SD card.

Unfortunately, I'd forgotten to reset the camera after taking the previous set, which had been of barcodes on boxes of Canon photographic equipment -- it's a long story -- so my photos of the market are very poor quality.


I'd taken the set before that while taking a tricyle ride across Garendon Estate from Shepshed to Loughborough in September. The estate has planning permission for new housing to virtually connect Loughborough to Shepshed. All the time that I have lived here, I have never realised that this tractable route to Morrisons had existed, and now I shall lose it.

Probably not the route, which is an established cycle path, but the open countryside.

I upload most of my photos to Flickr these days. Why bother building your own web gallery when Flickr does it for you AND provides a built-in network which people can search to find you? PLUS, Flickr gets high Alexa rankings, showing that it's much more likely that you will get an audience for your work.

Having chosen the photos and worked them up a bit where necessary, I uploaded them.

At which point I discovered that Flickr has introduced geo-tagging. Er? Well, you find the location on the world map where you took your photos, you drag them to the location, and hey presto, anyone looking for photos there will likely see your photos.

It was fast, which was welcome to me after the long delays that I STILL get logging into Yahoo! email.

And there weren't many other photos on the map that I could see, so perhaps I am a pioneer.

The only thing, I think wistfully, is that the largest scales on the map invite individual tags for each photo, since each is taken in a slightly different place. That would mean carrying a universal GPS with you to identify each photo's location.

It's too much Man. So perhaps camera manufacturers should do the job for the lazy photographer, and incorporate that information with each photo.

No comments:

ShareThis