Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Really, REALLY peeved with Firefox 3

Since the beginning of this week, persistent reminders have suddenly appeared on my monitor screen urging me to upgrade to Firefox 3. It did point out that certain addons, such as Google tool bar and Autocopy, would no longer work.

So I ignored the exhortations.

When the frequency of these notices increased, I decided that there must be something to the claim that FF3 improved security, so I upgraded.

I SO wish that I hadn't.

I have lost ALL of my addons, and if I try to install them again, such as Delicious buttons for bookmarking pages, I get a message that Firefox cannot install the addons because of an error 203 and that I should check the error console.

"Error: e.location.getItemLocation(e.id) is undefined
Source File: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Mozilla%20Firefox/components/nsExtensionManager.js
Line: 4007"

Has anybody ANY idea what that actually means?

I uninstalled FF and hoped that I could find an earlier version to download, but no, version 3 is the only one on offer. Reinstallation didn't improve anything about FF3 performance with addons.

Firefox is now virtually next to useless as far as I'm concerned. It was all the addons that made it so valuable.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

I have Flocked off to Flock.

2 comments:

Carol williams said...

You just disable all the old plug-in and install the new version. Read here for further info http://www.empoweredseo.com/seo-internet-marketing-blog/2008/12/22/got-unexpected-installation-error-203-in-mozilla-firefox-with-add-on-installation/#more-13
Thanks

suonnoch said...

Thanks Carol.

Actually, a couple of posts later, you would have seen that I did find a solution which only required me to quit Firefox, delete three corrupt files and then restart Firefox.
http://suonnoch.blogspot.com/2008/09/made-my-peace-with-firefox-3.html

It worked a treat.

ShareThis